Highlights From The Alzheimer’s Association International Conference 2021
“ These new data decimal point to disturb course show COVID-19 infection precede to permanent cognitive damage and flush Alzheimer ‘s symptom, ” suppose heather mixture Snyder, ph, Alzheimer ‘s association frailty president of the united states of medical and scientific relation. “ With more than one hundred ninety million encase and over four million death global, COVID-19 get lay waste to the integral world. information technology exist imperative that we continue to cogitation what this virus cost cause to our body and brain. ”
early new datum report astatine AAIC 2021 admit :
- Improving air quality may reduce dementia risk.
- Global prevalence of dementia is expected to nearly triple to more than 152 million by 2050.
- Transgender and gender nonbinary adults in
the unite department of state
are more likely to report worsening memory and thinking, functional limitations and depression than cisgender individuals.
- Communities of color, historically underrepresented in dementia research, are more willing to participate if they are invited, want to contribute to the study’s goal or have a family member with dementia.
With FDA-accelerated approval of aducanumab ( Aduhelm, Biogen/Eisai ) for balmy cognitive impairment ( MCI ) and meek Alzheimer ‘s, there constitute new energy and interest in other treatment inch the Alzheimer’s/dementia remedy grapevine. report at AAIC 2021 included new datum and analysis of the farthest boost investigational anti-amyloid drug — donanemab ( Eli Lilly ) and lecanemab ( Biogen/Eisai ) — summation angstrom wide variety of early approach, admit anti-tau scheme, anti-inflammatory prey, and neuroprotection and regenerative medicine .
“ a the lead voluntary health arrangement indium Alzheimer ‘s research, care and support, the Alzheimer ‘s association impression we ‘re living inch adenine fresh earned run average of progress. We ‘re watch astatine AAIC this year twelve of novel treatment overture that equal profit momentum indiana clinical test, ” say mare C. Carrillo, ph, Alzheimer ‘s association head science military officer. “ Alzheimer ‘s be a complex brain disease, and very probably bequeath want multiple treatment strategy that address the disease indium respective different manner along the duration of information technology course. These discussion, once detect and approve, whitethorn then be unite into potent combination therapy. ”
AAIC be the premier annual forum for presentation and discussion of the late Alzheimer ‘s and dementia inquiry. This year ‘s loanblend league consequence take set both virtually and in-person in denver and attract complete 11,000 attendant and more than 3,000 scientific presentation .
COVID-19 Associated with Long-Term Cognitive Dysfunction, Acceleration of Alzheimer’s Symptoms much have be learn about SARS-CoV-2, the virus that induce the novel coronavirus, since the begin of the COVID-19 pandemic. however, question stay about the long-run impact of the virus on our body and brain. new data award astatine AAIC 2021 from greece and argentina suggest old adult frequently suffer long-run cognitive deterioration, include persistent miss of olfactory property, subsequently recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection .
These modern datum be the first report from associate in nursing external consortium — include the Alzheimer ‘s association and team from closely forty country — world health organization cost research COVID-19 ‘s long-run effect on the cardinal nervous system .
Improving Air Quality Reduces Dementia Risk, Multiple Studies Suggest
better air travel quality whitethorn better cognitive function and reduce dementia hazard, according to several study report at AAIC 2021. Among the key find oneself are :
- Reduction of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and traffic-related pollutants (NO2) over 10 years was associated with 14% and 26% reductions, respectively, in dementia risk and slower cognitive decline in older U.S. women, according to results from the Women’s Health Initiative Memory Study-Epidemiology of Cognitive Health Outcomes (WHIMS-ECHO).
- In a French study, reduction of PM2.5 concentration over 10 years was associated with a 15% reduced risk of all-cause dementia and 17% reduced risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Long-term exposure to air pollutants was associated with higher beta amyloid levels in a large U.S. cohort, showing a possible biological connection between air quality and physical brain changes that define Alzheimer’s disease, according to a team at university of washington.
Global Dementia Cases Forecasted to Triple by 2050
incontrovertible course in ball-shaped education access exist expect to decrease dementia preponderance worldwide by 6.2 million case aside the year 2050. interim, anticipate counter-trends indiana increase smoke, high body mass index and senior high school rake carbohydrate be predict to increase preponderance by about the same count : 6.8 million case. vitamin a team from the university of capital model these projection along health data roll up and analyzed aside adenine worldwide consortium of research worker between 1990 and 2019 a character of the ball-shaped effect of disease cogitation. besides report at AAIC 2021 :
- Each year, an estimated 350,000 individuals develop early onset dementia (prior to age 65) globally, according to researchers in the netherlands
Read more : The burden of lower respiratory infections and their underlying etiologies in the Middle East and North Africa region, 1990–2019: results from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019 – BMC Pulmonary M
. To address the need for services for this population, the Alzheimer’s Association helped launch the Longitudinal Early-Onset Alzheimer’s Disease Study (LEADS) to look at early onset disease progression.
- From 1999 to 2019, the U.S. mortality rate from Alzheimer’s in the overall population significantly increased from 16 to 30 deaths per 100,000, an 88% increase, according to researchers at Emory university. Among all areas of the U.S., mortality rates for Alzheimer’s were highest in rural areas in the East South-Central region of the U.S., where the death rate from Alzheimer’s is 274 per 100,000 in those over 65. Lowest Alzheimer’s mortality was found in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Transgender Adults More Likely to Experience Subjective Cognitive Decline, Depression
transgender and gender nonbinary adult indiana the connect state be more probable to report worsening memory and thinking, functional restriction and depression compare to cisgender ( non-transgender ) adult, harmonize to two study reported astatine AAIC 2021. key find oneself include :
- Transgender adults — individuals who identify with a gender different than the one assigned to them at birth — were nearly twice as likely to report worsening confusion or memory loss (subjective cognitive decline, or SCD) and more than twice as likely to report SCD-related functional limitations, such as reduced ability to work, volunteer or be social, according to researchers at Emory university.
- Prevalence of depression was significantly higher for transgender and gender nonbinary adults (individuals who identify outside the male/female binary) (37%) compared to cisgender adults (19.2%), according to a team at university of wisconsin.
- Little is known about dementia and cognitive impairment among transgender individuals. However, transgender adults experience a greater number of health disparities considered risk factors for dementia, including cardiovascular disease, depression, diabetes, tobacco/alcohol use and obesity. Social inequities may also play a role in increasing risk of cognitive impairment.
Addressing Diversity in Alzheimer’s Clinical Trials
at AAIC 2021, the national establish along senesce ( NIA ), part of the united states government national institute of health, launch deoxyadenosine monophosphate modern on-line tool, outreach pro, to serve research worker and clinician increase awareness and participation in clinical trial on Alzheimer ‘s disease and other dementia, particularly among traditionally underrepresented residential district. other key find oneself report first at AAIC 2021 include :
- Historically under-represented individuals are most willing to volunteer for a clinical trial if they are invited to participate (85%), want to contribute to the goal of research (83%) or have a family member with the disease (74%), according to a team at university of wisconsin.
- They also found that African American, Hispanic/Latino and American Indian respondents are significantly more likely to volunteer if asked by a person of the same race, and are more concerned than Whites about disruption of work and family responsibilities and availability of transportation and childcare.
- Commonly used Alzheimer’s clinical trial exclusion criteria have the potential to disproportionately affect African Americans and Hispanics/Latinos, which may play a role in their reduced enrollment in research, according to NIA researchers.
About the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference (AAIC)
The Alzheimer ‘s association external league ( AAIC ) be the global ‘s bombastic gather of research worker from around the worldly concern focus on Alzheimer ‘s and other dementia. american samoa a separate of the Alzheimer ‘s association ‘s inquiry plan, AAIC suffice adenine ampere catalyst for generate new cognition about dementia and breeding adenine vital, collegiate research community .
AAIC 2021 home page : www.alz.org/aaic/
AAIC 2021 newsroom : www.alz.org/aaic/pressroom.asp
AAIC 2021 hashtag : # AAIC21
Read more : Identifying Lower Respiratory Infections
About the Alzheimer’s Association
The Alzheimer ‘s association be deoxyadenosine monophosphate global voluntary health organization dedicate to Alzheimer ‘s wish, support and research. Our mission constitute to run the way to end Alzheimer ‘s and all other dementia — aside accelerate global research, drive risk decrease and early signal detection, and maximizing quality manage and support. Our vision constitute ampere populace without Alzheimer ‘s and all other dementia®. visit alz.org oregon call 800.272.3900 .
source Alzheimer ’ s association
hypertext transfer protocol : //www.alz.org
class : Diseases