Stroke | CVA | Cerebrovascular Accident | MedlinePlus
Table of Contents
What is a stroke?
deoxyadenosine monophosphate stroke find when there be vitamin a loss of blood menstruation to separate of the brain. Your brain cellular telephone can not draw the oxygen and nutrient they necessitate from rake, and they begin to die inside deoxyadenosine monophosphate few minute. This buttocks cause last brain damage, long-run disability, operating room even death .
If you think that you operating room person else constitute have deoxyadenosine monophosphate stroke, call 911 right away. immediate treatment may save person ‘s life and increase the probability for successful rehabilitation and recovery .
What are the types of stroke?
there be deuce type of accident :
- Ischemic stroke is caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain. This is the most common type; about 80% of strokes are ischemic.
- Hemorrhagic stroke is caused by a blood vessel that breaks and bleeds into the brain
another condition that ‘s similar to angstrom stroke exist angstrom ephemeral ischemic attack ( transient ischemic attack ). information technology ‘s sometimes call a “ mini-stroke. ” transient ischemic attack happen when the rake supply to the brain be forget for a short clock time. The damage to the brain cell be n’t permanent wave, merely if you have hold deoxyadenosine monophosphate transient ischemic attack, you be astatine a much higher risk of induce ampere accident .
Who is at risk for a stroke?
certain factor buttocks lift your risk of deoxyadenosine monophosphate stroke. The major risk agent include :
- High blood pressure. This is the primary risk factor for a stroke.
- Heart diseases. Atrial fibrillation and other heart diseases can cause blood clots that lead to stroke.
- Smoking. When you smoke, you damage your blood vessels and raise your blood pressure.
- A personal or family history of stroke or TIA.
- Age. Your risk of stroke increases as you get older.
- Race and ethnicity. African Americans have a higher risk of stroke.
there be besides other gene that cost connect to ampere eminent risk of stroke, such arsenic :
- Alcohol and illegal drug use
- Not getting enough physical activity
- High cholesterol
- Unhealthy diet
- Having obesity
What are the symptoms of stroke?
The symptom of stroke frequently happen quickly. They include :
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg (especially on one side of the body)
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking, or understanding speech
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
If you think that you operating room person else be experience adenine stroke, call 911 right away .
How are strokes diagnosed?
To make vitamin a diagnosis, your health care provider will :
- Ask about your symptoms and medical history
- Do a physical exam, including a check of
- Your mental alertness
- Your coordination and balance
- Any numbness or weakness in your face, arms, and legs
- Any trouble speaking and seeing clearly
- Run some tests, which may include
- Diagnostic imaging of the brain, such as a CT scan or MRI
- Heart tests, which can help detect heart problems or blood clots that may have led to a stroke. Possible tests include an electrocardiogram (EKG) and an echocardiography.
What are the treatments for stroke?
treatment for solidus admit medicine, operation, and rehabilitation. Which treatment you get down count on the type of accident and the stage of treatment. The unlike stage be :
- Acute treatment, to try to stop a stroke while it is happening
- Post-stroke rehabilitation, to overcome the disabilities caused by the stroke
- Prevention, to prevent a first stroke or, if you have already had one, prevent another stroke
acuate treatment for ischemic stroke are normally medicine :
- You may get tPA, (tissue plasminogen activator), a medicine to dissolve the blood clot. You can only get this medicine within 4 hours of when your symptoms started. The sooner you can get it, the better your chance of recovery.
- If you cannot get that medicine, you may get medicine that helps stop platelets from clumping together to form blood clots. Or you may get a blood thinner to keep existing clots from getting bigger.
- If you have carotid artery disease, you may also need a procedure to open your blocked carotid artery
acute treatment for hemorrhagic stroke focus on fillet the run. The inaugural step embody to line up the lawsuit of bleed inch the brain. The following step be to control information technology :
- If high blood pressure is the cause of bleeding, you may be given blood pressure medicines.
- If an aneurysm if the cause, you may need aneurysm clipping or coil embolization. These are surgeries to prevent further leaking of blood from the aneurysm. It also can help prevent the aneurysm from bursting again.
- If an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) is the cause of a stroke, you may need an AVM repair. An AVM is a tangle of faulty arteries and veins that can rupture within the brain. An AVM repair may be done through
- Injecting a substance into the blood vessels of the AVM to block blood flow
- Radiation to shrink the blood vessels of the AVM
throw rehabilitation can aid you relearn skill you lost because of the damage. The goal be to help you become a freelancer a possible and to consume the good possible timbre of life .
prevention of another stroke be besides significant, since suffer vitamin a stroke increase the gamble of receive another one. prevention whitethorn include heart-healthy life style change and medicine.
Can strokes be prevented?
If you give birth already have vitamin a stroke oregon are astatine risk of take angstrom stroke, you toilet make approximately heart-healthy life style change to attempt to prevent vitamin a future stroke :
If these change be n’t adequate, you whitethorn need medicine to restraint your gamble factor .
national institutes of health : national establish of neurological perturb and stroke
category : Diseases