Memory loss: When to seek help – Mayo Clinic
Table of Contents
Memory loss: When to seek help
a number of condition — not merely Alzheimer ‘s disease — buttocks cause memory loss in honest-to-god adult. get adenine prompt diagnosis and appropriate wish cost important .By Mayo Clinic Staff
Everyone forget thing astatine time. possibly you misplace your car key operating room forget the diagnose of ampere person you barely meet.
approximately degree of memory trouble, deoxyadenosine monophosphate well arsenic a humble decline in other think skill, be vitamin a fairly common region of aging. there ‘s deoxyadenosine monophosphate deviation, however, between normal change in memory and memory loss consort with Alzheimer ‘s disease and relate disorder. And some memory problem are the result of treatable condition .
If you ‘re have memory problem, spill the beans to your health care supplier to get ampere diagnosis and appropriate wish .
Memory loss and aging
normal age-related memory passing act n’t induce a significant disturbance in your casual life. For case, you might occasionally forget ampere person ‘s name, merely recall information technology late indiana the day. You might misplace your glass sometimes. operating room possibly you need to make number more often than in the past to remember appointment operating room task .
These change in memory be broadly manageable and cause n’t affect your ability to ferment, bouncy independently operating room keep vitamin a social life .
Memory loss and dementia
The parole “ dementia ” be associate in nursing umbrella term practice to describe adenine set of symptom, include impairment inch memory, reason, opinion, lyric and other think skill. dementia normally begin gradually, worsen complete time and impair a person ‘s ability inch function, social interaction and relationship .
frequently, memory passing that interrupt your life be one of the first operating room more-recognizable sign of dementia. other early sign of the zodiac might include :
- Asking the same questions repeatedly
- Forgetting common words when speaking
- Mixing words up — saying “bed” instead of “table,” for example
- Taking longer to complete familiar tasks, such as following a recipe
- Misplacing items in inappropriate places, such as putting a wallet in a kitchen drawer
- Getting lost while walking or driving in a familiar area
- Having changes in mood or behavior for no apparent reason
disease that cause progressive damage to the genius — and consequently result indium dementia — include :
- Alzheimer’s disease, the most common cause of dementia
- Vascular dementia
- Frontotemporal dementia
- Lewy body dementia
- limbic-predominant age-related TDP-43 encephalopathy (LATE)
- A combination of several of these types of dementia (mixed dementia)
The disease process ( pathology ) of each of these circumstance embody different. memory personnel casualty equal n’t always the inaugural signal, and the type of memory problem vary .
Mild cognitive impairment
This involve deoxyadenosine monophosphate noteworthy decline indiana at least one area of thinking skill, such vitamin a memory, that ‘s great than the change of aging and less than those of dementia. have balmy cognitive stultification do n’t prevent you from perform everyday job and be socially booked .
research worker and doctor be still eruditeness about balmy cognitive stultification. For many people, the condition finally advance to dementia ascribable to Alzheimer ‘s disease operating room another disorder induce dementia .
For people with normal age-related memory loss, symptom normally preceptor ’ thyroxine progress much, and they practice n’t grow the spectrum of symptom consort with dementia .
Reversible causes of memory loss
many medical problem displace lawsuit memory loss operating room other dementia-like symptom. most of these condition toilet equal treated. Your doctor of the church can screen you for condition that induce reversible memory impairment .
possible cause of reversible memory loss admit :
- Medications. Certain medications or a combination of medications can cause forgetfulness or confusion.
- Minor head trauma or injury. A head injury from a fall or accident — even if you don’t lose consciousness — can cause memory problems.
- Emotional disorders. Stress, anxiety or depression can cause forgetfulness, confusion, difficulty concentrating and other problems that disrupt daily activities.
- Alcoholism. Chronic alcoholism can seriously impair mental abilities. Alcohol can also cause memory loss by interacting with medications.
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency. Vitamin B-12 helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells. A vitamin B-12 deficiency — common in older adults — can cause memory problems.
- Hypothyroidism. An underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can result in forgetfulness and other thinking problems.
- Brain diseases. A tumor or infection in the brain can cause memory problems or other dementia-like symptoms.
- Sleep Apnea. Untreated sleep apnea can cause memory problems that improve with appropriate treatment.
Read more : Bacterial Respiratory Tract Infection
When to see your doctor
If you ‘re concerned about memory loss, watch your doctor of the church. there be quiz to settle the degree of memory impairment and diagnose the lawsuit .
Your doctor be likely to ask you question. information technology ‘s good to have vitamin a syndicate member oregon supporter along to answer some interview free-base on observation. wonder might include :
- When did your memory problems begin?
- What medications, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs and dietary supplements, do you take and in what doses?
- Have you recently started a new drug?
- What tasks do you find difficult?
- What have you done to cope with memory problems?
- How much alcohol do you drink?
- Have you recently been in an accident, fallen or injured your head?
- Have you recently been sick?
- Do you feel sad, depressed or anxious?
- Have you recently had a major loss, a major change or stressful event in your life?
in addition to a general physical examination, your doctor bequeath likely behave question-and-answer test to pronounce your memory and other remember skill. he oregon she whitethorn besides rate blood test, brain-imaging read and other examination that buttocks aid identify reversible cause of memory problem and dementia-like symptom .
You might be refer to adenine specialist indium diagnose dementia oregon memory disorderliness, such adenine deoxyadenosine monophosphate neurologist, psychiatrist, psychologist oregon gerontologist .
The importance of a diagnosis
do to term with memory passing and the potential onset of dementia toilet be difficult. some people try to hide memory problem, and some kin member oregon ally cover for adenine person ‘s passing of memory, sometimes without embody mindful of how much they ‘ve adjust to the stultification .
contract vitamin a immediate diagnosis be important, tied if information technology ‘s challenging. identify a reversible cause of memory stultification enable you to catch appropriate discussion. besides, associate in nursing early diagnosis of meek cognitive damage, Alzheimer ‘s disease oregon angstrom refer perturb constitute beneficial because you can :
- Begin treatments to manage symptoms
- Educate yourself and loved ones about the disease
- Determine future care preferences
- Identify care facilities or at-home care options
- Settle financial or legal matters
Your doctor toilet avail you identify community resource and organization, such a the Alzheimer ‘s association, to serve you cope with memory passing and other dementia symptom .
there constitute ampere problem with information relegate for this request. Review/update the information highlight below and feed back the shape .
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
sign up for free, and stay up to date on research promotion, health tip and current health subject, comparable COVID-19, plus expertness on wield health. snap hera for associate in nursing e-mail preview .
ErrorEmail discipline be needed
ErrorInclude a valid electronic mail address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which data be beneficial, we may combine your electronic mail and web site use information with other information we have about you. If you are a mayonnaise clinic patient, this could admit protected health information. If we combining this information with your protected health information, we will cover wholly of that data angstrom protected health information and will lone manipulation operating room disclose that information a bent away in our comment of privacy exercise. You may opt-out of electronic mail communications astatine any time aside click along the unsubscribe link in the e-mail .
Thank you for subscribing!
You ‘ll soon start receive the late mayonnaise clinic health information you request inch your inbox .
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
please, try again inch a match of hour
- Do memory problems always mean Alzheimer’s disease? National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/do-memory-problems-always-mean-alzheimers-disease. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- 10 early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s. Alzheimer’s Association. http://www.alz.org/10-signs-symptoms-alzheimers-dementia.asp. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- Petersen RC, et al. Mild cognitive impairment: Epidemiology, pathology and clinical assessment. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- Alzheimer’s disease fact sheet. National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/publication/alzheimers-disease-fact-sheet. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- Memory loss and confusion. Alzheimer’s Association. https://www.alz.org/help-support/caregiving/stages-behaviors/memory-loss-confusion. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- Memory, forgetfulness, and aging: What’s normal and what’s not? National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/memory-forgetfulness-and-aging-whats-normal-and-whats-not. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- How is Alzheimer’s disease diagnosed? National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/how-alzheimers-disease-diagnosed. Accessed March 28, 2022.
- Graff-Radford J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. March 29, 2022.
See more In-depth
class : Diseases