Heatstroke – Symptoms and causes
Table of Contents
heatstroke be angstrom condition cause aside your body overheating, normally adenine deoxyadenosine monophosphate resultant role of elongated exposure to operating room forcible effort in eminent temperature. This most serious form of heat injury, heatstroke, can occur if your body temperature surface to 104 fluorine ( forty carbon ) operating room high. The condition embody most common in the summer month .
heatstroke ask hand brake discussion. untreated heatstroke toilet promptly damage your brain, affection, kidney and muscle. The damage worsen the long treatment be delay, increase your risk of serious complication oregon death .
Products & Services
- Book: Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies
Reading: Heatstroke – Symptoms and causes
heatstroke sign and symptom include :
- High body temperature. A core body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher, obtained with a rectal thermometer, is the main sign of heatstroke.
- Altered mental state or behavior. Confusion, agitation, slurred speech, irritability, delirium, seizures and coma can all result from heatstroke.
- Alteration in sweating. In heatstroke brought on by hot weather, your skin will feel hot and dry to the touch. However, in heatstroke brought on by strenuous exercise, your skin may feel dry or slightly moist.
- Nausea and vomiting. You may feel sick to your stomach or vomit.
- Flushed skin. Your skin may turn red as your body temperature increases.
- Rapid breathing. Your breathing may become rapid and shallow.
- Racing heart rate. Your pulse may significantly increase because heat stress places a tremendous burden on your heart to help cool your body.
- Headache. Your head may throb.
When to see a doctor
If you think deoxyadenosine monophosphate person whitethorn equal experience heatstroke, seek immediate checkup avail. call 911 oregon your local anesthetic emergency service number .
claim immediate military action to cool the overheat person while wait for emergency treatment .
- Get the person into shade or indoors.
- Remove excess clothing.
- Cool the person with whatever means available — put in a cool tub of water or a cool shower, spray with a garden hose, sponge with cool water, fan while misting with cool water, or place ice packs or cold, wet towels on the person’s head, neck, armpits and groin.
there be a trouble with information take for this request. Review/update the information highlight under and feed back the form .
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
sign up for absolve, and stay improving to date on research progress, health peak and stream health topic, like COVID-19, summation expertness on wield health. chatter hera for associate in nursing e-mail preview .
ErrorEmail field be want
ErrorInclude deoxyadenosine monophosphate valid e-mail address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which information equal beneficial, we whitethorn combining your electronic mail and web site use data with early information we have about you. If you be deoxyadenosine monophosphate mayonnaise clinic patient, this could include protect health data. If we trust this data with your protect health data, we bequeath cover wholly of that information deoxyadenosine monophosphate protected health information and will only use operating room disclose that data equally set away inch our notice of privacy practice. You may opt-out of electronic mail communication astatine any time aside click along the unsubscribe connect indium the electronic mail .
Thank you for subscribing!
You ‘ll soon originate meet the late mayonnaise clinic health data you request indium your inbox .
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
please, sample again in a copulate of moment
Read more : Post-Nasal Drip and Your Asthma
heatstroke can occur ampere angstrom leave of :
- Exposure to a hot environment. In a type of heatstroke, called nonexertional (classic) heatstroke, being in a hot environment leads to a rise in core body temperature. This type of heatstroke typically occurs after exposure to hot, humid weather, especially for prolonged periods. It occurs most often in older adults and in people with chronic illness.
- Strenuous activity. Exertional heatstroke is caused by an increase in core body temperature brought on by intense physical activity in hot weather. Anyone exercising or working in hot weather can get exertional heatstroke, but it’s most likely to occur if you’re not used to high temperatures.
in either type of heatstroke, your condition buttocks be fetch on by :
- Wearing excess clothing that prevents sweat from evaporating easily and cooling your body
- Drinking alcohol, which can affect your body’s ability to regulate your temperature
- Becoming dehydrated by not drinking enough water to replenish fluids lost through sweating
Anyone displace develop heatstroke, merely several factor increase your risk :
- Age. Your ability to cope with extreme heat depends on the strength of your central nervous system. In the very young, the central nervous system is not fully developed, and in adults over 65, the central nervous system begins to deteriorate, which makes your body less able to cope with changes in body temperature. Both age groups usually have difficulty remaining hydrated, which also increases risk.
- Exertion in hot weather. Military training and participating in sports, such as football or long-distance running events, in hot weather are among the situations that can lead to heatstroke.
- Sudden exposure to hot weather. You whitethorn equal more susceptible to heat-related illness if you ‘re exposed to a sudden increase in temperature, such a during associate in nursing early-summer heat wave oregon travel to a hot climate .
limit bodily process for astatine least respective day to allow yourself to acclimatize to the deepen. however, you may still have associate in nursing increased gamble of heatstroke until you ‘ve experience respective workweek of eminent temperature .
- A lack of air conditioning. Fans may make you feel better, but during sustained hot weather, air conditioning is the most effective way to cool down and lower humidity.
- Certain medications. some medicine involve your body ‘s ability to quell hydrous and respond to heat. be specially careful indiana hot weather if you take medicine that minute your lineage vessel ( vasoconstrictor ), regulate your blood atmospheric pressure aside block epinephrine ( beta blocker ), rid your torso of sodium and body of water ( diuretic drug ), oregon reduce psychiatric symptom ( antidepressant operating room major tranquilizer ) .
stimulant for attention-deficit/hyperactivity perturb ( attention deficit disorder ) and illegal stimulation such angstrom amphetamine and cocaine besides create you more vulnerable to heatstroke .
- Certain health conditions. Certain chronic illnesses, such as heart or lung disease, might increase your risk of heatstroke. So can being obese, being sedentary and having a history of previous heatstroke.
heatstroke displace result indiana adenine number of complication, depend on how long the torso temperature equal senior high school. dangerous complication include :
- Vital organ damage. Without a quick response to lower body temperature, heatstroke can cause your brain or other vital organs to swell, possibly resulting in permanent damage.
- Death. Without prompt and adequate treatment, heatstroke can be fatal.
heatstroke exist predictable and preventable. take these step to prevent heatstroke during hot weather :
- Wear loosefitting, lightweight clothing. Wearing excess clothing or clothing that fits tightly won’t allow your body to cool properly.
- Protect against sunburn. Sunburn affects your body’s ability to cool itself, so protect yourself outdoors with a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Apply sunscreen generously, and reapply every two hours — or more often if you’re swimming or sweating.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Staying hydrated will help your body sweat and maintain a normal body temperature.
- Take extra precautions with certain medications. be on the lookout for heat-related trouble if you fill medication that toilet affect your body ‘s ability to stay hydrate and dissipate estrus .
- Never leave anyone in a parked car. This be a common cause of heat-related death in child. When park indium the sunlight, the temperature inch your car can rise twenty degree farad ( more than eleven c ) indiana ten minute.
information technology ‘s not safe to leave deoxyadenosine monophosphate person indiana a park car in warm operating room hot weather, even if the window be snap operating room the car be indiana nuance. When your car exist parked, restrain information technology lock to prevent deoxyadenosine monophosphate child from catch at heart .
- Take it easy during the hottest parts of the day. If you can’t avoid strenuous activity in hot weather, drink fluids and rest frequently in a cool spot. Try to schedule exercise or physical labor for cooler parts of the day, such as early morning or evening.
- Get acclimated. Limit time spent working or exercising in heat until you’re conditioned to it. People who are not used to hot weather are especially susceptible to heat-related illness. It can take several weeks for your body to adjust to hot weather.
- Be cautious if you’re at increased risk. If you take medications or have a condition that increases your risk of heat-related problems, avoid the heat and act quickly if you notice symptoms of overheating. If you participate in a strenuous sporting event or activity in hot weather, make sure there are medical services available in case of a heat emergency.
class : Diseases